LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network with over 50 million members and growing rapidly. LinkedIn connects you to your trusted contacts and helps you exchange knowledge, ideas, and opportunities with a broader network of professionals.
Tips for Creating Your Personal Profile
- Claim your name as part of your public profile/public URL. Once you've customised your URL, use it in your email signature file and when you leave comments on blogs.
- Fill out your profile with enough information so that colleagues and contacts can get a sense of your expertise and what you're about. Make sure you include a photo.
- Add a widget or two to your profile for flavour. I like the SlideShare widget and the Reading List.
- Join a few relevant groups.
Tips for Using LinkedIn for Your Company
- Create a profile page for your company
- Use LinkedIn for posting your company's jobs
- If you are promoting a product or service, consider using a targeted LinkedIn Ad.
- If your company (or your industry association) is hosting an event, make sure it's listed in the Events directory on LinkedIn. Encourage attendees and presenters to indicate their interest/attendance.
Tips for Interacting on LinkedIn
- When you invite someone to connect, personalize the message - don't send the standard invite. Indicate where you met or why you want to connect.
- Use LinkedIn Answers to show off your expertise. Bonus: repurpose the content for blog posts (see Alexandra Samuel's blog posts)
- Recommendations. Remember who you recommend is part of your brand. Trading a 1 for 1 recommendation looks a little amateur.
Video: Getting More Out of LinkedIn
Additional LinkedIn Articles and Resources